Fri 30 Dec 2011
Filed under: Inside Burma
Nay Pyi Taw, 29 Dec — Leader of Union Level Peacemaking Group Taungtha Township Pyithu Hluttaw representative U Aung Thaung, deputy leader of the group Myitkyina Township Pyithu Hluttaw representative U Thein Zaw and members Union Minister for Cooperatives and for Livestock and Fisheries U Ohn Myint, Union Minister for Environmental Conservation and Forestry Win Tun, Pyithu Hluttaw representative U Maung Maung Thein and deputy ministers, the deputy Attorney-General and members arrived in Mongla of Shan State at 9.45 am on 27 December.
They were welcomed by Special Region (4) Chairman U Sai Lin and vice-chairmen and members. Leader of the Union Level Peace-making Group U Aung Thaung, deputy leader U Thein Zaw, Union Ministers U Ohn Myint and U Win Tun met Chairman of Special Region (4) U Sai Lin, Vice-Chairman U San Pae and Secretary U Kham Maung at the hall of the Special Region (4) Headquarters and discussed peace processes.
The Union Level Peace-making Group and Special Region (4) Peace-making Group held the Union level peace talk for the second time at the meeting room of the Special Region (4) Headquarters in Mongla. They cordially discussed future peace process based on the points agreed in Kengtung on 9 October 2011, and signed a six-point agreement and exchanged the documents.
The six-point agreement is as follows:-
(1) Both sides have reached agreement to continue implementing agreements signed in Kengtung on 9 October this year.
(2) It is agreed to adopt short-term or long-term socioeconomic development plans in light of bilateral consultations to enable the Union government to participate in tasks for improvement of living standard of the national people in Special Region (4) and for regional economic development.
(3) The Union government agrees to help increase the opportunities for youths of national races in Special Region (4) to pursue education with the mindset to develop their insights, to equip them with vocational education and to realize human resources development.
(4) The Union government agrees to adopt long-term plans for cooperation of local people in treatment, prevention and education processes of health care to national people in Special Region (4), acquiring health knowledge.
(5) It is agreed to continue negotiating matters related to enable representatives of people in townships of Special Region (4) take seats in each Hluttaw of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar to represent desires of the people in Special Region (4).
(6) Special Region (4) is an important part of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar. Special Region (4) agrees to continue to hold talk to cooperate with defence forces of the State for security and defence of the State as well as it agrees not to disintegrate the State and secede from the State at all and to devote all the capacities of Special Region (4) to perpetuation of the sovereignty of the State.
After the meeting, Leader of Union level peace-making group U Aung Thaung presented gift to Chairman of Special, Region (4) U Sai Lin. Later, both parties posed for documentary photo after exchanging gifts.