Tue 5 Feb 2013
Filed under: Inside Burma,Military,News,Statement
Nay Pyi Taw, 4 Feb-Peace talks between Union Level Peace Making Committee and KIO was held at Shweli today.It was attended by a six-member team led by Union Ministers U Aung Min and U Ohn Myint from Union Level Peace-Making Committee and a five-member team led by U Sung Lyut Gam and General Gwan Maw from KIO, a two-member team led by Ambassador Mr Luo Zhaohui from Foreign Affairs Ministry of the People’s Republic of China, KNU General Saw Mutu Sae Poe and General Secretary Pado Saw Kwe Htoo Win, three led by Brig-Gen Sai Lu of RCSS/SSA, U Han Nyaung Wai and Victor Biak Lian.
Both sides issued a five-point joint statement at the talks. The following is the translation of the joint statement:
1. Talks between a delegation led by Vice-Chairman of Union Level Peace-Making Committee Union Minister U Aung Min and KIO negotiation team, was held in Shweli of Yunnan Province of the People’s Republic of China from 9 am to 16:15 pm today.
2. Ambassador Mr Luo Zhaohui of Foreign Affairs Ministry of the PRC, KNU Chairman General Saw Mutu Sae Poe, General Secretary Pado Saw Kwe Htoo Win and one member, Brig-Gen Sai Lu of RCSS/SSA and two members, U Han Nyaung Wai and U Victor Biak Lian, have attended the talks as witnesses.
3. Talks focused on establishing communication channels, reducing military tension, preparing for next talks and the invitation of observers and organizations as witnesses in the next meeting.
4. KIO has agreed to hold the next talks before the end of February after making coordination with UNFC and to continue holding the political talks between the government and KIO.
5. Both sides have agreed to continue to hold talks for emergence of a surveillance system in the conflict-affected areas for achieving ceasefire swiftly between the government and KIO.
4 February, 2013