The Myanmar Foreign Ministry confirmed that Myanmar has arrested eight armed Chinese nationals who are being interrogated in prison. Earlier media reports pointed out that these Chinese nationals appeared to have received military training in Myanmar and are suspects in a murder case.

These 8 Chinese killed one person in another region in Myanmar and escaped in a car. They were arrested near Tamu on the India-Myanmar border early morning on the 25th.

According to a report by English language Eleven Media Group, the police found 8 pieces of light weapon, 1860 bullets, 31 grenades and 3 military daggers.

The arrested driver of the car, Han Lu Lu, told the police that they received military training at a village in the Kokang region that borders China.

The Myanmar Foreign Ministry responded to media inquiries and provided a report to the official New Light of Myanmar last month. The content is identical to the report by the Eleven Media Group. The New Light of Myanmar said the police engaged in chasing the car and arrested the suspects 15 minutes later. The report also claimed that the suspects ran way after killing a military officer in Kokang.

The report did not clarify whether the murder victim was a Myanmar military officer or Kokang militia. The government did not provide such clarification either.

A sheriff at the local criminal investigation told the Eleven Media Group that the 8 suspected are held at a prison in Mandalay. The government has pressed charges according to the immigration law. A special group is investigating the military training the suspects received.

The New Light of Myanmar reported that 3 suspects came from Sichuan province, 2 from Anhui province, and the rest were from Guangxi, Hubei and Guizhou.

Staff of the Chinese Consulate in Mandalay said they had seen the related media reports and are in the process of confirming details with Myanmar officials.

The staff said if the eight suspects had violated Myanmar laws, the consulate could only provide humanitarian assistance.

The Myanmar police did not respond to the email inquiry on the issue by the journalist.